HISTORY; DEPARTMENT OF BOTANY

The Department of Botany, University of the Punjab stretches back over three quarters of the century. It was established in 1924 in the building of Botany Department, Government College Lahore. Prof. Shir Ram Kashyap headed both the Departments of Botany of Government College and that of the University. Faculty members of Botany Departments of both Government College and University shared teaching of Botany to M.Sc. and B.Sc. classes. Prof. Sher Ahmed Lodhi was the first Muslim HoD appointed in September 1947. The collaborative teaching continued till late in 1962.

The Department moved to the Quaid-e-Azam Campus in 1963 and was housed in various buildings until its present building was constructed in 1973. In the past four decades, the Department has developed a very elaborate program of teaching and research for BS, M.Sc., MPhil., MS and Ph.D. Degrees. Until the year 2000, the Department was running only two-year M.Sc. regular Degree Program in the Annual Examination System. The B.Sc. Honors (3 year) and M.Sc. Honors (2 year) Programs were launched in the year 2001 in semester system. The PhD Regular Programs in Botany were also started in the Department in the year 2001. In the year 2005, B.Sc. (Hons) and M.Sc. (Hons) Program was converted to B.S. (4 year) and M.S. (2 year) Program respectively. The M.Phil./M.S. leading to Ph.D. Program was also started. Each year students in all courses are inducted in the fall semester commencing in September. In the year 2011, non-regular Ph.D. was also started in the Department. Starting from year 2017, the Department is also offering admissions in Self-Supporting Programs of M.Sc., MS and M.Phil.